Monday, November 23, 2015

Corporal Jorden Jones, USMC 2010-2014

Updated 12/01/2015 - Jorden has gone quite a few days without a fever.  Wonderful young woman and a caseworker from the VA in Pittsburgh, a very knowledgeable Marine Corpsman, and his family are working to get Jorden out of Allegheny General and into an Long Term Acute Care facility (LTAC)....preferably the group that is affiliated with UPMC. That type of facility specializes on getting someone like Jorden, with his lung infection off of a ventilator so that he can begin his spinal rehab.   It has been nearly seven long weeks for this young man and his family.  Being out of the ICU unit alone will give Jorden, some much needed and deserved physical comfort.  It is also a step in a positive direction for him.

If he is moved, and hopefully he will be this week, I will keep you updated on the address for sending Christmas Cards.  Regarding the Jordan Jones USMC  GoFundMe account, I am taking money from my Christmas budget, normally spend on friends and family and donating it to that fund.  I've spoken to my family and have told them not to send me gifts.  Instead, my preference, in the Christmas spirit of giving, is that they donate to Jorden's fund as well.

********************************************************

Updated 11/29/2019 - Corporal Jorden Jones, USMC is making minimal progress and needs to be moved from Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh, PA to another facility. There is red tape involved concerning which next medical step will be the best one -- other opinions are being given, coupled with  which facility will and will not accept him, his insurance being covered across state lines, and with paying for his air-ambulance. 

He remains on a ventilator in the Intensive Care Unit at Allegheny.

Although Jorden is still smiling and fighting the good fight, as any USMC would, I am asking for you to pray for him today.  He sincerely needs them at this time.

I'll make it real simple.  Read this:

"Dear God in whatever form You are perceived by anyone reading this, please continue to permeate Your light and love inside of Jorden Jones, his family and loved ones. Please continue to bring comfort and clarity of thought to this incredible young man, his family and loved ones.  Thank You in continuing, with Your almighty power, for beginning his healing process and leading Jorden's care in the most sagacious direction of Your choice."

<3JM


A TRAGIC ACCIDENT FOLLOWING USMC DISCHARGE:


This is by far, the most important page I will ever post on my Blog. For the purposes of writing “Ghost; The Unseen Disorder of PTSD”, I’ve interviewed Military personnel, civilians, criminals, a psychiatrist, and the list goes on and on.  This man's story has touched my very soul.


His story will not be a part of Ghost, but again, I firmly believe that it is the most important issue I ever have or ever will write about. I hope it is the most important issue you will ever read. It might just help one Marine.  And helping one Marine is better than helping none.


Jorden Jones served our country in the USMC. He enlisted immediately following his high school graduation and completed his tenure with the Marines in early 2014. Like all Military personnel, he enlisted knowing full well that the chances of his life ending at an early age were very high. He signed his enlistment papers and along with that he also signed what could have been his death warrant.


Any Marine knows this and with that understanding the Brotherhood…that indestructible Brotherhood of the USMC is formed. It’s a bond like no other on earth. It’s more powerful than that of a parent and child.  It's far more powerful than that of a husband and wife. It’s forever. Alienation and divorce are not a part of and never will be a part of this Brotherhood.


After much dedication and hard work, he worked his way up to the rank of Corporal before being honorably discharged in early 2014. He has a young son and a new born baby girl.


That is what I know about Corporal Jones’ Military career. I do not know whether he saw combat, whether he did any or many tours in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. I do not know if he suffers from PTSD. I do not know whether he suffered from war injuries.


I do know this: On October 17th 2015 he was on his way to work at 1-800-GOT-JUNK.com in Pittsburgh when he was involved in a horrific car accident and was ejected from the car. He suffered a major spinal injury leaving him paralyzed. He is currently on a ventilator and is using the strength his Marine training has given him to fight for his life, his physical ailments, his pain, and his emotional well-being.

 This fight includes but is not limited to: multiple spinal surgeries, a crush C-4 vertebra, complications of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) pneumonia, paralysis and bed sores. Jorden was “Code Blued” three times in the past month. One those times, it took the doctors several minutes to bring him back. Within three hours, he was smiling.

Hearing this reminded me of a photo I saw of an injured Marine who was being evaced for combat injuries. As the helo was taking off, the photo showed that his face was bleeding, his wounds were horrific, and yet he held up his middle finger with his bloody hand and smiled. That sense of defiance is what is keeping Jorden alive.
 

I follow my heart with my writing and this time I knew that a blog page was in order. I do only what I can do that is within my power to help those in need. Writing is my powerhouse of a tool and I find myself once again, taking up a cause of yet another Vet, with tears streaming down my face, for a man who is a complete stranger to me----but I know he is suffering. That alone makes me sad.  My tears are for Jorden, but they are also for the gratitude I feel toward all Marines.


This man enlisted in the Marines and came home alive. He started a family, and then in a matter of seconds, his world, and that of his family could or would possibly be destroyed. Not by war, but by way of a freak accident which happened so soon after he had begun his new life back in the States.

Jorden’s father, Steve Jones, advised me that his son is still on a ventilator and with the MRSA complications, it is a waiting game for Jorden. Have no illusions. This young man is not out of the woods yet. He has two children to support and his private insurance will not pay all of his medical bills. His father is taking a sabbatical from work to be near his son. Money is needed for all involved.

I took another look at his GoFundMe page and saw that Jorden wanted a haircut. A haircut. Something as benign and simple as a haircut made him happy.

Jorden is a Marine and is one for life. That is why he can smile a few hours after being brought back to life by a resuscitative staff of doctors and nurses following a family shattering Code Blue. That is why he can smile after getting a haircut. That is why he loves to hear that people are thinking about him. He’s happy with what are the base and most simplistic things in life. Yet, he has sacrificed four years of his life to protect the freedom that we as Americans enjoy and at times, take for granted.

I want more for him. I want his family taken of while he is unable to support them. The GoFundMe account has grown substantially, but it is not where it needs to be. They have asked for $30,000 and have nearly reached $20,000.  

Based on some quick math on my part, 30K will not take them far. Utilities have to be paid. Jorden's children need child support----their mother is raising them on her own.

Christmas is right around the corner. My personal plan is to tell my family and friends that I will be making a donation on Jorden’s behalf rather than sending them gifts. I’ve done this for years for different causes and have found that my friends and family understand and appreciate that sort of true Christmas spirit. Just a suggestion.

I’m asking (begging, groveling, and crawling through mud and glass) for you to do the same for this young man. The link for donations is Jordan Jones USMC

Enough of purchasing the ugly Christmas sweaters, which will be laughed at the minute the recipient leaves your home.  How about this: Tell your children Jordan's story and ask them if they will be willing to trade a $15 CD for a donation to Jorden's fund.


If you cannot donate but would like to send him a get well or Christmas card, he is in the ICU department at:

Allegheny General Hospital
320 E North Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212

The MooreVirgoRocks has spoken.....with love, tears and compassion!  <3 JM
 


















No comments:

Post a Comment