Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother Of 8 Tells It Like It Really Is; By Lois Simonds.Reformatted by Joanne Moore

This article was written by my mother, Lois E. Simonds in 1969 when she worked as an investigative journalist for The Bethlehem Globe Times.  I have the original article in my archive of memories of her.  She was my best friend and confidant. From my mother I gained a love of writing, practical jokes, laughter, music, nature, people and the underdog. She taught me to be compassionate, understanding, tolerant of all people no matter their skin color, social economic status or sexual orientation.

Although she is gone, I continue to honor her memory.

Today is Mother's Day, May 10, 2015.  I thought this would be an appropriate Blog for all of the mothers, step-mothers, mothers of multiple pets, Grandmother, Aunts and Uncles who have guardianship of children, foster moms and especially, the one's who have stolen my heart; the single working mother.  Enjoy. <3JM
 
Mother Of 8 Tells It Like It Really Is

 By LOIS SIMONDS

Globe-Times Staff Writer

When I was told to write a first person Mother’s Day story, I squirmed and protested.  “I can’t…my kids would kill me.”

Earlier I had watched and listened with detached interest to a discussion in the newsroom on feature possibilities for Mother’s Day.

One staff member had proposed an interview with a sterilized mother of two adopted children.  Another suggested a spread about a Spanish mother of several children who was adjusting to the customs of a new country.

And then I felt the eyes of those who rule on me and I guess you could say I was compromised.

I am not sterilized and I am not Spanish but I am the mother of eight children and a staff writer with the Globe-Times.

Tomorrow is Mother’s Day and I will probably iron.

As is customary in our house, I received my Mother’s Day gifts yesterday immediately because few small children can wait two whole days with the gifts they made in art class that afternoon.

Gifts Galore
Joanne, our third grader at St. Joseph’s school, Limeport, gave me a card with this poem.  “May the Lord be with you, May the skie turn blue, I hope you are gay on Mother’s Day.”  I believe the old English spelling of sky was accidental.

A card made by my 11-year-old, less religious in tone, said “Hi Toots, to a mother different from any other,” was signed “from your dear child Jane.”

Five-year-old Patty came in from kindergarten yesterday, her arms behind her back and grinning said, “Happy Valentine’s Day, Mom” and handed me a card filled with homemade stars.  Inside was printed (not by Patty), “I love Mother, Mother loves me, I will help her like a busy bee.”

“But you’re not my mother,” my husband Ben reminded me smilingly once when I mentioned his disinterest in gift giving.  He still points proudly to the Christmas three years ago when he gave me a steam iron.

My children range in age from 22 to 5 and I find them delightful.  I also love my job.  Combining the two is a challenge for a woman who is disorganized and resentful of a night routine of packing lunches and tidying up.  As a result, working against deadlines in a newspaper office is nothing compared to some of the challenges I face before I leave home in the morning.

While most employees at the Globe-Times are breakfasting and glancing over their morning papers, I am crawling under beds looking for lost shoes.

On a bad morning recently, it took ingenuity to pack three lunches with frozen bread which I’d forgotten to take out of the freezer and without cold meat, which I neglected to buy.

Another day the dog ate the lunches.

A thermometer has an important place in our home and ours, much of the time, is jutting out of the mouths of children who claim to be taken with a sudden virus on school mornings.

Schoolitis
The same youngsters who raced around the house the night before stagger down the steps in the morning dramatically claiming it is impossible for them to go to school.

One recent morning there was a record four children who complained of being near death.  While suspecting the familiar school virus, their temperatures had to be taken…with 100 degrees the magic number in order to stay home from school.

Two children later and no one had produced a temperature over 98.6 so the next one in line, eyeing the results to date, complained about severe pains in the stomach…a harder to detect illness.

Jim, who just became a teenager, one morning, produced a temperature of 110 degrees with the help of a pan of hot water.

When I first started working, my husband and I sensibly decided to start an allowance system to encourage the children to help with housework.

Outsmarted
Greeted with much enthusiasm, the allowance project worked beautifully for three days…dishes were washed…beds were made.

And then we were outsmarted.  One before-going-to-bed check of bedrooms revealed four children asleep in sleeping bags so they wouldn’t have to make their beds in the morning.

A child, assigned to peel 12 potatoes for dinner, cagily peeled a dozen of the smallest potatoes in the basket and when I entered the kitchen I found only the bottom of the pan covered with spuds the size of large marbles.

As a final sign that early enthusiasm were ebbing was my argument with Jim, assigned to do breakfast dishes, on his contention that breakfast dishes and the clearing of the table could just as easily be done after school as before.  Note:  Jim has always disappeared immediately after school and until dinner time.

Allowances were sliced in half.

Letter to Jibs
This cut in allowances inspired Joanne, our eight-year-old, always eager to take a pen in hand, to write a letter to her sister, Elizabeth, called “Jibs” a junior at Penn State.

“Dear Jibs, When are you going to come home?  Jane cleaned your closet.  Its neat in there.  Jim got your card or letter.  We had to wate three days after his birthday until we could sing to him.  Were getting a picnic table.  Our allouances have been cut again.  Patty gets 13 cents (it isn’t worth it) a week.  I get 25 cents.  I can hardly buy anything with it but at leste I get it on Friday.  Then I sleep downstairs and eat the candy from my allouance. I’ll see you soon.  Your sister, Joanne.”

Mike, our oldest son, is home for the summer from University of Pennsylvania, and when informed that he would break into print as part of a Mother’s Day feature, he suggested mildly, “Couldn’t you say that you have seven children?”

Coming home from work is an experience which is matched only by leaving in the morning.

“Jim was reading my letters,” was the cry from out 16-year-old daughter Chris, which greeted my homecoming yesterday.  Two wanted friends to sleep over for the weekend and as I was starting the breakfast dishes at 4:30, my son called for a ride home from his summer job.

Bright Future
Surveying an untidy, tinker-toy littered house, I’m consoled by remembering my husband’s favorite saying.  “A hundred years from now, what difference will it make?”

I consider myself one of the luckiest women in the world.  I have eight healthy, highly individualistic children.  While they brawl and scream, they also laugh a lot and occasionally display gentleness.

I’m not concerned that I’ve contributed toward the population explosion.  I like to feel instead that I’ve given eight more people to the world who will search for solutions to problems plaguing mankind.

And while they’re growing up, I’ve had experiences which I’ll never forget.

Rude Awakening
While stretched out in bed one Sunday afternoon, a child sneaked into the room and dropped a small garter snake on me and watched delightedly with her two friends as I tried, in complete panic to burrow my way down through the mattress to escape it.

I’ve had my sons look at me with new respect after I’d beat them at pool.

I’ve read a newspaper sodden with spilled orange juice and paid telephone bills smeared with jelly.

I’ve watched my daughter’s boyfriend stroke her hair adoringly while she laughed uproariously at a comic strip she’s reading.

I went out in the yard to hang up clothes recently, looked up to the sky to check for rain, and walked into a muskrat hanging on the clothesline drying out.

How many women can girdle themselves for the day and disregard middle age spread because their scale has told them they only weigh 28 pounds?  I can…our scare is rusted by gallons of water spilled from children in the bathtub and it registers up to 28 pounds….no more.

And I’ve had Patty wrap her arms around and say, “Mommy, I only hated you for a little while this morning.”

These experiences and others have strengthened me to meet the wrath of my children today when they read about themselves in the newspaper.

Lois E. Simonds, Mother of Many:  RIP 11/27/1927 - 06/25/2005. Miss you everyday! <3JM 

 

 

 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment