Saturday, May 2, 2015

Ghost; The Unseen Disorder of PTSD

Updated 12/01/2015
 
 America's Vet Dogs:

There is a local Amazon warehouse near me and they are hiring temporary staff like crazy to fill orders due to an overload from Christmas shoppers.  Once again, I'm hoping....Please, if you are doing on-line shopping with Amazon (I know I am), that you will be sure that your purchase goes to a good cause.  Any cause is good and there are several. Of course my preference and chosen charity is America's VetDogs.  It's very simple.  Type in http://www.smile.amazon.com/ and choose "America's VetDogs - The Veteran's K-9 Corps" as your charity.  It won't cost you a dime and will take approximately five minutes of your time to set up your funding for AVDs. A portion of your purchase will automatically donated to them. If not, don't let your purchase go to waste over the Christmas season.  Choose the charity of your choice.

Each time you shop, use the link www.smile.amazon.com and shop away! 

Remember, it cost them nearly 80K to train a service dog and the PTSD dogs are FREE for Vets. 

                                    ********************************************

I am a firm believer in the healing powers of dogs trained for PTSD sufferers. America's Vet Dogs, is offering a pilot program, which is free for Vets with PTSD.

These dogs are trained to sense a panic attack and a rapid heartbeat and lay on the Vet's body (with their head on the Vet's chest) until the heart beat slows, turn on lights and awaken a Vet from a nightmare, stand in front of a Vet while walking should people approach the Vet...these incredible dogs will sense out good and bad, thus protecting the Vet.  Basically, these companions take on the needs of and do what is most needed for any Vet with PTSD: To enable them to "feel safe."


It cost America's Vet dogs approx. 80K to train one dog yet they are free to qualifying Vets. If you shop at Amazon.com, Amazon will donate a portion of your purchase to America's Vet Dogs. Instead of using the name Amazon.com with your browser, type in http://www.smile.amazon.com/.


You will then be able to choose a charity. Everyone is free to choose his or her own charity, but I hope most of you choose "America's VetDogs - The Veteran's K-9 Corps". They can use every penny you can give.

Before you choose your charity, consider this: When a Vet comes home from having laid down their lives for our freedom, their life as they once knew is no longer exists.  They will suffer the effects of combat for the rest of their lives.  They are not being hired as is so falsely hyped in the media.  Most employers know the symptoms of PTSD, and at the level a Veteran suffers from this disorder, employers are actually reluctant to hire Vets. They are working menial jobs, when they are able to work.
 
Veterans do not get disability from the VA for PTSD, however the common civilian can and does qualify for disability (SSD) through the very same government.  The suicide rate amongst our Marine's is alarmingly high and growing by the day. Don't "thank a Vet." It's not enough. Please take your appreciation to the next level to support our troops.

To learn more about America's Vet Dogs, please visit their website at http://www.vetdogs.org/


 
......With love and compassion <3JM
 
 
 
 
Updated 11/15/2015: Partner-A Service Dog in Training.
 


Partner is part of The Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind, est. 1946. In 2003 The Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind, recognized the need for an assistant dog program for our Veterans. At that time American's Vet Dogs was created. Their funding comes from individuals, corporations, foundations, businesses, services, etc.

This beautiful soul will ultimately be either a guide dog or a Vet's with physical injuries and/or PTSD-related symptoms....providing he passes all of his testing with flying colors.

He's currently in his initial training with a volunteer in North Carolina. The first photo shown below was taken when he was twelve weeks old. He is seventeen weeks old in the second photo below.



This dog will change the life of one person who desperately needs help. <3 <3 <3JM



"Yesterday we took Partner out for his first BIG adventure (right in the beginning we start slowly and work our way to bigger stores and outings).We went to Sam's club on a Saturday afternoon without knowing it would be fully packed!!!



He did so well, totally surprised us!!



Walked thru the whole store like he has been doing it for months!! He met all kinds of people, obstacles and several different noises. He sat nicely when people came up to him (young and old), he walked next to a grocery cart wonderfully, waited patiently in line and then sat at the checkout like he knew what he was doing.



He even had his first encounter with a disabled person. He brought tears to the eyes of a wheelchair-bound woman. She was so happy to be able to pet him (she must of been in her 90's). She said she loved dogs but was never allowed to have one. She could not thank us enough. It just made us feel so good. Great socialization experience.



Hoping this is a sign of good things to come. Such a good boy
!!!!"
 


 
Photos courtesy my bestie Deb Sourwine Brittain........<JM
 
To apply for a dog or to donate please click on the link's below.

Guide Dogs For The Blind

America's Vet Dogs

 
 *******************************************
 
 
 " I have yet to meet a weak person who has had to carry the burden of painful obstacles in his or her life." ......Joanne Moore

Updated 09/16/2015 Ghost; The Unseen Disorder of PTSD:
Delayed Release Date.

I sincerely apologize to the wonderful people who have supported this project for me and other PTSD sufferers.  Due to timing issues with additional sources for this book, I've had to postpone its release date.

"Ghost" needs to focus on as many different cases and levels of PTSD as possible. That means a lot more people from a diverse variety of backgrounds might be able to say, "Hey, I'm not alone."  There are SO many people out there who suffer from this disorder, and list of sources is growing (like Jack's bean stalk). 

If more people can gain an education and understanding of this disorder and its symptoms, perhaps it will ultimately mean less pain for the PTSD sufferer.....rejection, lectures, misunderstand symptoms and judging. Those who do not suffer from psychiatric disorders and pain are truly fortunate, but it also appears that most do not comprehend a single symptom of the diagnosis of PTSD. 

Ghost is being written to open many eyes to PTSD and its residual disorders. I'm willing to delay my release goal so as to add more chapters, which in turn could increase society's level of understanding.

I hope you understand and will continue to support this project. 
<3 <3 <3 <3JM



Updated 08/23/2015 Ghost; The Unseen Disorder of PTSD:

I feel it is important that I explain something up front to my readers.  When I conduct an interview, it is my job to step into the shoes of the interviewee and spend some time inside of his or her mind.  That is what gives me the ability to write descriptively. 

Last week I interviewed a Corpsman. Long story made short, a Corpsman is enlisted in the Navy, but works and keeps up with the Marines.  They are on patrol and in the midst of a firefight with the Marines.  Their job is not only to fight the enemy but to treat the wounded.  They have a medical education that is nearly that of a physician assistant. They are HIGHLY respected because they save lives and they do it in the utter insanity of a firefight. 

I am not going to get into to what went on during that interview, but I will say this: He and I spent six and one half hours on the phone.  He opened up, and I cannot fairly say "how" much he opened up about his war experience. Like all of the Military stories in Ghost, he gave me what he could and what he could is always enough for me. 

My point is that after our interview, I have slept a cumulative total of about 10 hours over a four-day period.  I am in complete adrenaline mode. This interview went very deep for me.   

So, I'm this civilian woman/writer who suffers from PTSD et al, and I'm speaking to someone who is probably giving me a tiny snippet of what he had to endure and survive. 

The next time I ever complain, someone, please slap me.  I can see. I can breath. I can hear.  I can walk. I can speak.  I can drive.  I can go out dancing.  I can clean my house and mow my lawn. (The last one is my biggest turn-off).  Simply put....I am GRATEFUL.  Putting things into perspective, no matter what level of PTSD, depression or what ever ails us is the key to finding peace within.  There is always someone out there who has it worse off than I do. 

One last thing:  There is a mountain. We are all allowed to put our life's experiences into a paper bag and place the bag on the mountain.  We are given the choices of either taking back our own bag or taking that of another....oh, and incidentally, these bags are stapled shut...no peeking allowed.  Which decision would you make?  

.....................................<3 JM 

Updated 08/10/2015 Ghost; The Unseen Disorder of PTSD:


We each are born into a state of innocence. It is what life throws at us that can make or break a person.. That incredibly powerful strength can be environmental or taught by our parents. Other times it's our instinctive human will to survive.


Finding the ability to survive is a potent and resilient part of all of us, no matter what hand we are dealt.



Reach down deep inside of yourself and find your power. It is up to each of us to fight to overcome our obstacles in this lifetime. Banish 'giving up' on yourself. Heal yourself, and then set your sights on helping others.


 





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



“Ghosts; The Unseen Disorder of PTSD”, due for publishing late 2015, is not the average book. By contrast it is an exceedingly far cry from anything every written.  


The catalyst from which "Ghost" emerged is a short story entitled "Hell Beyond Hell; The Marine's War in Afghanistan" that I co-authored with Kent Mullins, USMC (two deployments in Afghanistan).  To read more about HBH please see  
Hell Beyond Hell; The Marine's War in Afghanistan-Behind the Story .
 
 
I am including civilian stories as well as Military interviews. My reasoning for doing this is so that there can be an equal understanding of people suffering from PTSD, depression and life-changing injuries from which millions of people across the world suffer.


I want to capture as many possible points of view from PTSD sufferers. All of my interviewees included in this project have been subject to different environmental factors as well as genetics.
 
 
This book is written through the eyes of those who suffer from PTSD and its complicating disorders.  Each chapter reveals a unique story of  a PTSD sufferer who describes their experiences to the readers. It also is all-telling of how each person who wears the scars of PTSD has learned to survive with their demons continually pulling at their minds and causing nearly unbearable pain and ultimately suicidal ideations.


"Ghost" will hopefully give our culture an education and understanding of this disorder and the related derivatives which stem from PTSD, such as depression, panic attacks, generalized anxiety, chronic pain and sleep deprivation.


These disorders cause an infinite loop of pain in PTSD patients; one with which they live 24-hours per day. It’s time to stop chastising and ostracizing those who suffer from this disorder. I’m firm in the belief that this is done out of both ignorance and fear. I feel that it is my moral duty to teach that people with PTSD are survivors, not society’s outcasts!


An epidemic of people with these disorders is sweeping our nation.


This book also addresses the cruelty from society that, thus far in my writing and interviews, every single person with conditions such as PTSD or depression, etc. has endured in one way or another.
 
Whether it's being flagrantly ostracized by family members, old friends who turn out to be not friends at all, or having humanity in general turn their backs on these people, the emotional pain, isolation, anger and loneliness is always the same. Blatant rejection is a common denominator which is shared by most of these individuals.

PTSD patients are heroes and heroines. Not one of those interviewed thus far has failed in his or her attempts to strive to gain added strength each day and to subsist through life; at times on a minute-by-minute basis. Their will and determination is amazing. All of them do something to give back to society, and that makes them all the much commendable.


In listening to the stories of my interviewees I am able to translate what they reveal about themselves and put their words into a narrative and descriptive writing format; one with which the general public can identify, or at least gain even a small window of understanding of human beings who are plagued by PTSD. Usage of real names is discretionary.  


Concerning the Military interviews I've conducted, I find it particularly offensive that many of our Vets acquire PTSD from combat firefights and watching their brothers being killed and maimed and then............They are then brought stateside to await another deployment or are assigned a position on a Military base. They do not get the debriefing or psychiatric help they desperately need and they end up self-medicating to drown both their physical and emotional wounds.
 

Because of the Military's strict policy on illegal drug use, many are not given an honorable discharge. The irony is that these men endured their training, earned their purple hearts, fought for America, lived in fear every minute of every day for an average of seven months and are then simply dismissed as no longer needed.


The same entity that changed them from human beings into killing machines will not provide a Veteran who has done his or her job exactly as they are taught, the courtesy of 30 days of in-patient psychiatric care for PTSD.....technically a work-related disorder. This is beyond maddening to me and whether or not the American Government approves of what I have to say, this concern will be heavily portrayed in "Ghost." Simply put...I don't care. These people need a voice and I happen to have a loud mouth.



 VA BENEFITS vs. PRIVATE HEALTH CARE
 


I spent nearly 30 years working in the medical benefits field. I think my experience qualifies me as a benefits expert. I can usually cut through that red tape of an insurance carrier or third party administrator.



I decided to "test" the system. I calculated hold times, disconnects, redials, hold times again, phone trees (press 1 for this, press 2 for that). I was transferred back and forth from Tricare to their third party administrator, Federal Health Net Services (FHNS). FHNS referred me back to Tricare. I was referred to their websites, which are also useless. I was able to speak to two people at Tricare and one at FHNS after many redials.


I cannot decide which of these operations had the rudest people working as customer service, claims representatives, and managers.


If our Vets have the fortune of actually having the opportunity to deal with the disingenuously-run health care provider that is Tri-Care, they must have had enough fight left in them to cut through the red tape. That in itself is a huge uphill battle if one is unfamiliar with the insurance arena. As with civilians who as a rule, abhor insurance carriers, many of these people simply quit. They give up. They are entitled to their full VA benefit package, but are too weary to pursue them.
 

The sad truth is that the civilian population suffer from the identical disorders as Veterans even though civilian PTSD is more than likely suffered on a less severe scale. Yet civilian PTSD patients have the luxury of health care reform, Medicaid and Social Security Disability (SSD). SSD also provides the civilian with the added benefit of vocational rehabilitation. This can and often does lead to a fully paid college education. Personally, I do not disrespect or resent the civilian SSD recipient. How can I? I am one of them.


I too suffer from PTSD, depression, generalized anxiety and panic attacks. But I am treated. Well treated. I've had three back surgeries and have also dealt with chronic pain, which exacerbated all of my other disorders. I consider myself fortunate to be non-Military. My heart weeps for our Vets.


The same government that has granted me an alternative to leave the corporate world, given me an income and health insurance, has ironically denied the same benefits to a man or woman who has laid down their lives to protect my freedom, put themselves at the door of death and ultimately turned their souls upside down.


I will never say I "know how you feel" when it comes to a Vet who has seen combat. I don't. I never enlisted. But I do care about and love people, especially those who capture my heart with their ability to hang on and push through a very difficult life.


"Ghost" is neither my diary nor my hope to make a boatload of money. It is  being written because I have something to say about these disorders that cause so much pain in people who are ignorantly misunderstood by society.


"Ghost" will speak........and speak loudly about PTSD. To the millions of you who suffer from this painful ailment, please know that your story is important as are you!  


 "Ghost" exposes Military combat, crippling accidents, drug addicted parents, physical and emotional abuse and the many, many other environmental factors which cause PTSD and the life-long battle PTSD sufferers endure to lessen the unseen pain inside of their psyches. 

 

Some will disapprove of this book. Some will be critical. That is fine. It makes no difference to me.  I believe with all of my heart, that "Ghost" needs to be written.

 

You can follow me Twitter at "MooreVirgoRocks", on Google at "Joanne Moore", and on Instagram at JoanneMooreAuthor.



 Hugs........ <3JM


PS/If you would like to read "Hell-Beyond Hell; The Marine's War in Afghanistan", please click on the link below. It's a short story and is about a 30-minute read. $1.99 per download on any Kindle, Nook, Tablet, PC or Laptop.

 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment